The Society was formed in January 1986 with the aims of:
- Helping researchers to increase their knowledge of genealogy and assist them in researching their own family history.
- Assisting in the preservation of local history and genealogy records.
- Enabling us all, by sharing knowledge, to further our awareness of what information is available and how to access it.
- A Nationally Registered Charity and member of the Federation of Family History Societies.
- Arrange for speakers and visits to places of genealogical interest.
- Publish local Parish Registers and recording memorial inscriptions of local churchyards.
- Publish our own quarterly magazine, Roots and Branches, and offer an ongoing programme and events of interest to all.
- Allow membership to all including unlimited access to our facilities and expert advice from fellow members.
Felixstowe is situated on the Colneis Peninsula. This is on the South East Coast of Suffolk, between the Rivers Orwell & Deben in the United Kingdom. It now has the largest Container Port in Europe but a mere 100 years ago was a small Victorian holiday resort. It was principally a farming area with fishing on the Coast. Many of the inhabitants travelled from the villages to Ipswich and on to London to find work.
The parishes contained within this area are
- Trimley St.Mary
- Trimley St.Martin
- Walton, Kirton
It was also the site of Landguard Fort which has been in existence since 1626 and was in constant use by the Army until the 1950's.
Where to start:
- Question your living relatives about their family member recollection.
- Gather names, dates, events and relationships, note it all down.
- Gather information from Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates. Photocopy if possible.
- When you have gathered this basic information Contact Us and we can assist you on the next stage of your journey.